Friday, August 1, 2008

Gearing up for Breaking Dawn

At midnight, the 4th and final book in the popular Twilight Saga, Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer, will be released. I'm headed to dinner with friends before we hit my first ever book release party! I am excited, and I'll definitely be breaking dawn with Breaking Dawn!

The Twilight Saga hit me hard over the 4th of July weekend, and I've been itching to get my hands on the newest installment in the Bella/Edward/Jacob saga.

I know you're supposed to choose a favorite, but I simply cannot. I also refuse to debate who deserves to win. I'll be happy no matter how Ms. Meyer completes her tale. These are her beloved characters, after all. I do have hope, but I believe that either man is worthy, and I want Jacob and Edward to be happy. In my opinion, they both deserve great love.

I know there are moms out there worrying about their daughters. I've heard moms angry about Bella's weakness, her clumsiness and her living her life for her boyfriend. Girls need to know that even the klutz can be loved. They need to know that perfection is NOT necessary. Bella isn't perfect, thank goodness! If she was, she would just be another popular girl for the imperfect people to hate.

It's ok for our children to fall in love, and it's ok to fall in love hard and fast. It's a wonderful part of life. You can be a klutz and still be a strong, lovable woman.

I'm not worried about my daughter waiting for Edward or Jacob any more than I'm worried about my son hoping to receive a letter from Hogwarts at age 11. These characters are FICTIONAL, no matter how alive they feel.

I hope that I've raised my children and that my friends have raised theirs to know the difference between reality and fantasy. You don't have to be like Hermione Granger to a real woman. Bella isn't some weak, damaged critter, she's a human with human qualities. It's ok to be human.

If you're worried about what this book is teaching your children, read Raising Confident Girls and/or Raising Confident Boys for tips, implement strategies to raise your girls to be all they can be, and YOU RAISE THEM. Don't leave it up to fictional love stories to do it for you. Sign up for self-defense classes and make going to the gym a family outing each day. BE the woman you want your girls to be. Be the man you want your boys to be. Don't rag on an author or her fictional characters. These people, human or not, aren't in charge of raising your children. you are!

You can check out www.stepheniemeyer.com for more information on this series. You can also see her interview on Good Morning America.

No comments:

Post a Comment